Sunday, October 26, 2008

Miscommunication

Communication is very important when playing a team sport. When I used to play volleyball, we were constantly talking to our teammates on the court, telling hitters where to hit the ball, servers where to place it, and setters where to set it. This was extrememly important in winning a volleyball match and my team worked very hard at improving our communication. However, ometimes something would go wrong and miscommunication would occur. This lead to disaster. For example, during one of our matches I was going up to hit a ball from the middle of the court. The other team had been doing a double block the entire game, meaning there were only two girls at the net trying to stop my hit from going over. However, this time they decided to put three girls up there. Since I knew there were only going to be two blockers I was more focused on where to hit the ball on the court, and I failed to notice the third girl and ended up hiting the ball directly into her hands. If one of my teammates had yelled "triple" maybe I would have noticed the other blocker and changed my swing so that I could have made a better attack. Communication makes it easier, especially since it is so hard for one person to see the entire court. Im sure it is the same way in the business world. It is easier to come up with ideas or solutions to problems when everyone is communicating together instead of just trying to work on their own.

No comments: